Thursday, February 3, 2011

Icefest 2011

This past weekend was Icesfest an event I look forward to each year. An event that helps break up winter. An event that is ALWAYS cold, very very cold. It happens towards the end of the month every January. As soon as the new year hits I know Icefest is the first event we like to celebrate. It is a great family time not only does my family go but my parents, brother and niece come from over an hour away.

We spend weeks talking it up to ourselves. We don't deny that it will be cold. We try to prepare. We bring blankets, dress in layers, we look like little Eskimos by the time we are done. After that we still only make it to the outside events there for an hour or so. We are just not cold weather people.

My husband had to work the late night shift the night preceding Icefest. He got home as we were darting out the door to basketball. He had planned on sleeping and then going with us to our favorite part of Icefest the chili cook off. It is the best. There is some really good chili there. Nothing better to warm you from the inside out before you go outside and look at the sculptures.

After watching my superstar shoot hoops we went back home through the snow falling to pick up his dad and head off.

Photobucket

By this time Jay had only been sleeping for 2 hours I was unsure how this would go. I tried to wake the sleeping bear and he did not want to get up. I understood and realized this year would not be one we went to the chili cook off. I was disappointed but I was okay with it. I can make a great pot of chili anytime here. Plus this will save money. I figured I would feed my four here and then take them out to the festival. They were excited to go and I still wanted to give them that.

After lunch we bundled up and headed out with the snow falling to Icefest. Yea! They were so excited. When we got there what was the first thing my crazy neice did? She licked a statue! OMG my silly little girl. Figures after all you are my brothers daughter. It still makes me chuckle.

Photobucket

They looked at many beautifully carved statues. With out licking anymore. But it did not stop them from sitting on them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

They climbed up into the thrown to get that yearly picture.

Photobucket

I remember when they were so tiny we had to hold them in there so they would not fall out. Now Danica had to sit on the boys lap and they still barely fit.

There favorite part was the 40' ice slide. They each wized down it so fast.

Photobucket
Gregory

Photobucket
Danica

Photobucket
Evan

After that is when the cold feeling hit. And they were now hungry too.

Photobucket

After a phone call from Evan to his dad telling him "happy Icefest day" it warmed his Daddy's heart and he came over to join us at Texas Lunch to warm up.

Photobucket

We got out of the cold and warmed up with hot chocolate.

Photobucket

Aw caught being sweet.

We stayed a while, long enough for a game of where's your nose.

Photobucket

Same pace I left it last time crazy dad.

Photobucket

Whew well another year of Icefest behind us. Another great time, another cold time.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Lisa said...

When I read your blog post title, I thought you were referring to weather conditions and not an actual event! Those ice sculptures are so cool (no pun intended). Looks like a great time!

Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

What a BLAST!!!! :) You just can't escape any puns with this post, girl! :)

The sculptures are amazing.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

that icefest looks awesome! you are the winner of V is for Valentines. email me so I can get the item to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...