Monday, July 26, 2010

The Historic Powhantan Plantation

We stayed at one of the most beautiful resorts, the Historic Powhatan Plantation.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It is a spectacular plantation, one I wish I lived in. The Powhatan Manor House is of historic and architectural importance. Part of a Royal Grant made by England's King Charles I, to Richard Eggleston in 1643, the Plantation is called after the local Indian tribe's great ancestral Chief Powhatan, Pocahontas' father.

Photobucket

Built as a fortress in fear of Indian raids, the exterior walls are 26 inches thick at the basement level, 22"-20' at the first floor and 20"-18" at the second floor.

Little is known about the plantation since all records were burned in the James City County court records during the Civil War, as was the interior structure of the house in 1862, under the direction of General George B. McClellan's Union Army. There is a cannon ball lodged into one of the two massive, 60' high "T" shaped chimney stacks.

Photobucket

As beautiful as the mansion the gardens, ponds, and out buildings accompany it perfectly.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This week the daytime temperature never dropped below 100 degrees. The above picture is one of the outdoor kitchen. Very practical. It is now a fine dining restaurant.

However nice it would be to have a house like that where we stayed was wonderful too.

Photobucket

It was our own little house with a hot tub. It worked just fine. It slept all seven of us and gave us a home for the week.

I have been coming here since I was kid myself. Williamsburg is not new to me or my parents, but it was the first time here for my family. It is now a place they love too and will always remember.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...