Thursday, November 1, 2012

Not your normal cement pond

I mentioned that we took a little bit of damage during the storm but nothing bad.  For the most part we just hung out.

IMG_6948

We played with our feet,

IMG_6927

Played with Wyatt who would not stay outside.  I guess I can't really blame her.

Photobucket

That is because most of the time it just rained heavily.  However there were a couple of hours where the wind blew so hard.  It ripped out back screen door apart, and bent the awning.

Photobucket

But that door needed to be replaced anyways.

The ceiling got wet.  And continued falling.  It is real soft.  This is going to have to be something we needed to fix immediately before snow sets upon it.  But again it was on the list of things that needed to be done anyways.  Obviously the roof needs to be fixed first that's what we were waiting on.

Photobucket

But where the most damage occurred is where it does not matter that much, I think, except it is the foundation of the house.  Our basement flooded again.  The sub pump never was set up or turned on and we now have a pool in our basement.

Photobucket

Our basement is a common Pennsylvania basement, a dug basement.  It is low and made of dirt and rocks.  It unfortunately stays a bit damp and is pretty unuseful.  We don't store anything down there.

Photobucket

But the waters wash up all types of yucky crap. It is gross.

Photobucket

It was about a foot maybe 2 at the deepest points.  But it has stopped pouring and has slowly been draining with the help of the sub pump now working.  Just a mess that needs to be cleaned up and eventually took care of so we can sell out little home.

But for now it is  okay.  It reminds me of a funny story I heard Joel Osteen preach the other day about his mom and her desire for a swimming pool.  But it was not a desire for a swimming pool in her basement.



When I think of determination, I think of my mom. She's a determined person. You know growing up momma wanted a swimming pool. She wanted a swimming pool really bad. Now this principle-I know a swimming pool is a material thing, but just listen to me. I want you to listen to the principle of determination and never letting go. 

Daddy loved her very much and loved all of us kids very much. He would do anything for us. He would buy us anything. He bought us chickens when we wanted chickens. He bought us rabbits. We had a goat one time. We had 2 dogs. Tamara and all the girls were in cheerleading. I was in baseball. He would do anything for us. And he would buy anything for my mother. But he did not want a swimming pool. That's the one thing he didn't want. And he told my mother, he said, "Dodie," he said, "I'll buy you anything in the world. But I don't want a swimming pool. It's too much maintenance. It's too hard to keep up with. It's dangerous." And you know, that just went in one of my mother's ear and out the other ear. Almost as if there was nothing in-between.  No. I'm just kidding. You know I'm kidding. 

But you know, momma was so determined, she never gave up. She just almost ignored it. And a month or 2 went by and here's momma again. We were out in the backyard and I remember her calling my dad over. And it happened just like this. She didn't even tell them what she was talking about. She said, "John, I think if we angel it just right, we can get it right here."  And she said, "We can put the flower beds over there. And this is the pathway up." And I remember daddy looking at her like, "Woman, you are crazy. What are you talking about?" She was determined. And she said, "John, about that swimming pool." He said, "Dodie, we're not going to have a swimming pool." This went on month after month. And of course, we were pulling for my mom.  We wanted it. But mother was determined. It was a burning desire. 

And I remember another time daddy was out there hitting me ground balls on a hot summer day and mother used the opportunity to come out there. And she said, "John, wouldn't it be fun to jump in our pool when you get through playing baseball?"  She was so determined. And my poor dad, he didn't know what to do. 

But you know one day-we used to travel with my dad during the summer time when he went around the country to speak. And one day we were at a hotel lobby and daddy was about to speak and a man came up to my mom and dad. And he introduced himself. He said I'm so-and-so. He said, "I build swimming pools for a living."  And I saw daddy's eyes roll back in the back of his head. He knew this was trouble. And you know my mom. She gave him that million-dollar smile and gave him that big hug. And said, "Where have you been, old buddy, old pal."  She said, "We've been waiting for you." 

And he went on to say, he said, "I want to build you a swimming pool." And my dad said, "Oh man, we appreciate that. But we really can't afford it and we really don't have room for it." He said, "Pastor," he said, "I don't want you to pay for it. I want to give it to you. Won't you let me give you a swimming pool." Momma was-that was a burning desire and God answered momma's prayer. 

And you know, I'll never forget that we were on another trip and he built it while we were gone. And we came back and all of us kids ran back there. It was a beautiful swimming pool. It was down into the earth. It was a nice expensive one. And we all ran and jumped in. Mother even got it. And here comes daddy to get in.  And I remember what momma said. She said, "John, don't you even think about getting into my pool." 

2 comments:

Da said...

Glad everyone's ok! It was a pretty devastating storm. Stay warm with your kiddies :)

michelle said...

So glad you guys are ok! I've been thinking about you lots and even checked in on you a couple times the last few days, but I'm sorry I'm just now leaving you an actual comment. And I'm sorry, too, about the flooding and damage to your house, but it could've been sooo much worse, and I'm just so glad you guys are safe.
Loved the swimming pool story. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...