Sunday, May 29, 2011

Preparing the soil

The seeds were getting too BIG for there starter pellets and needed to be transplanted outside.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I really needed to get the garden spot ready. This time was serious. I had to get it done and not just a small section. The seedlings could no longer live inside, they were falling over.

I grabbed my helpers and went outside.

Photobucket

We started pulling out weed and grass making our garden spot a bit bigger. Some of it was rather easy just cleaning out the weeds but cutting through the grass was a bit harder.

Photobucket


I would loosen the dirt and free the grass. Evan and Gregory would shake the dirt off and throw our chunks into a bucket.

Photobucket

We were working long and hard and boy was it hot outside.

Photobucket

Sweet smiley he spent as lot of the time spying on the neighbors!

Photobucket

But he also helped out when he wanted to.

Photobucket

He and Evan loosened up the dirt and got rid of many weed. They really did a good job preparing the soil.

Photobucket

I did not plant the seedlings in the ground yet. It just did not seem right. It is just such dry rocky dirt. What could we do to make it better for growing ?

Photobucket

I was wanting some sort of fertilizer that would make them grow and keep the ground healthy. I was thinking miracle grow. I asked Jay and the next day he went out and got bags of organic fertilizer. Remember we live out on farm country so guess what it was? Yup, he brought home bag after bag of poop. We poured it on top and he mixed it in.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The soil looked great. It was well fertilized and well tilled. Now I could plant the seeds.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...