Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tortilla Soup

I love tortilla soup and I came across this recipe (but made it my own) and wondered if it would be close to one of my favorite soups (form Chilies, Outback).  I had everything I needed; a huge bonus and a sign to go ahead and make it.  Gather up all your ingredients...

Photobucket

Ingredients

3 cups cooked chicken meat
2 10oz cans of Ro-Tel -any kind is fine but I used 1 chunky and 1 regular
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn
1 onion, chopped
3 14.5oz cans low-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp ancho chile powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro

tortilla chips
sour cream
shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
fresh cilantro
salsa brava - if you like a little extra heat, I do!

rice and beans for a side, plus my tiny team loves it

Then combine the first group in a stockpot.

Photobucket

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or till you feel it has married properly.  Let cool. 

While cooking make the rice and beans.  Simple, easy just follow the directions on the package.

When it cools to a temperature you can enjoy sprinkle with Mexican blend cheese, then crushed tortilla chips, add as much cilantro and salsa brava as you like, then a dallop of sour cream.  Enjoy!

IMG_6716

It came out good.  I enjoyed it.  Yumm...  Jay said he would have rather had steak than chicken (I don't agree).  It was better than the restaurants but tasted nearly the same.  I will make again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...